Certified Noxious Weed Pesticide Applicators
What is Japanese Knotweed?
Knotweed, commonly known as Japanese Knotweed (Fallopia japonica), is an invasive plant in North America that is native to Asia. This plant has become an issue throughout the world and is now found in the UK, USA and Canada.
Knotweed is a large concern as it can grow up to 4cm a day, can grow in disturbed environments, can out compete native plants, and it is very difficult to eradicate. Its extensive underground root system can penetrate concrete and damage foundations and other home owner related infrastructure.
Japanese Knotweed can also have an ecological impact on other native wildlife such as fish as it grows rapidly and changes native plant community assemblages in both terrestrial and riparian environments.
Knotweed does not hold soil very well and can lead to erosion on steep sloped gradients such as those found on residential properties in front and backyards.
Knotweed growth and its related effects are starting to be seen on the North Shore and in Vancouver, however, eradication methods are available through applications by a certified applicator.
Noxious Weed Identification
The four species of Knotweed are:
Characteristics of Knotweed:
- Hollow, bamboo-like stems with reddish and green colours.
- Grows 1-3 meters tall with spade or heart shaped leaves.
- Usually grows in clusters, with all stems close together at the base that gradually fan out.
- Knotweed can also grow small white flowers.
Things you may have tried
- Manual removal such as cutting, mowing and digging does not work. Due to the nature of the way that the plant can reproduces, this actually enables plant spread.
- Knotweed reproduces through small plant fragments and through its extensive underground root system.
Noxious Weed Treatment
- The best treatment for controlling and eradicating knotweed, is by using herbicide, applied by a certified applicator.
- The herbicide is administered by foliar application. The herbicide used is a non-residual herbicide that breaks down, leaving no toxic residue behind.
- Initial treatments should be applied to new growth in early spring.
- Treatment needs to be followed up by monitoring, as knotweed is a resilient plant.
- Follow up, or secondary treatments, if required, are applied in late summer.
“The crew did an incredible job! They were on time, worked very hard all day and were very courteous to myself and our neighbours. We will certainly recommend your company to others.”
– Donna K.
“I have used the Burley Boys for years. The work is always done just the way I ask.”
– Sheila F.
“The guys did a great job. Amazing how they were able to fall all that material without damaging my garden below.”
– Dorothy M.
“I have had the Burley Boys on several occasions and have always been pleased with their work and often recommend them. They are always kind and courteous, qualities that are much appreciated.”
– Pat R.
“The “Big Boys of the Tree Business” did an outstanding job. Thank you for your work, your professional approach and knowledge, the clean site etc.”
– Allen B.
Great opportunity to tell you how very pleased we are with your employees and service. For estimate and service, were professional, timely, efficient, pleasant, responded appropriately to my one concern. Have used your services in 3 houses over 30 years and will continue to do so. Job well done!
– Linda & David D.
“The crew were most professional and provided a well organized and executed job. I would be pleased to recommend you at any time.”
– Brian P.
“Very friendly crew. The work was done very professionally & cleaned up well afterwards. We are very pleased with the results and have already been recommending you to some friends. Thank you.”
– Nancy S.
“I appreciate Erik & his crew’s level of professionalism. They did a great job and I will be calling in the future. Thank you.”
– Shannon G.
“I loved Sean. He came to the door to inform us of the plan for the day. Moved our cars etc. He came again at the end. A friendly good-bye. Civil. Thanks.”
– David & Joanne U.
“In the 28 yrs we have lived here, Burley Boys does the best work that we have ever experienced.”
– John B.
“Thank you Burley Boys! Thank you Erik – and a special thanks to Adam and his team who did such a caring and special pruning and clean up! Wonderful work! Good service!”
– Heidi & Ray P.
“I was very impressed with Burley Boys, from initial phone call to end of job. You showed up on time, returned calls promptly and did a great job. Thanks very much.”
– Megan H.
“The work was wonderful, as are the men who did the work; friendly and attentive to detail; excellent customer service. Thanks again.”– Susanne & Randy D.
“We really appreciate the great work Sean’s guys do. We now have more sunlight streaming in and less gutters to clean. Yiipppeeee!”– Connie R.
“The crew was able to remove my pine without damaging all the bushes around it. I just wish I’d been there to see how they did it!”– Joan C.